Causes of common cough & colds
Coughs and colds are commonly caused by virus and less commonly, bacteria. They are transmitted by droplets by other infected people. Most people recover from the common cold without any lasting problems. However, it can cause significant discomfort.
What are the symptoms of common cold?
Below are the common symptoms experienced by patients:
- Blocked/ runny nose
- Sore throat
- Chest congestion
When to see a doctor?
Most people who have a cold do not need to see the doctor. You should see your doctor or nurse if you have:
- A fever of more than 100.4º F (38º C) that comes with tremors, loss of appetite, or breathlessness.
- A fever with an underlying lung disease, such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- A cough that lasts longer than 7 days.
- Chest pain when you cough, breathless, or coughing out blood.
What can I do to feel better?
If you are a teenager or an adult, you can try over the counter medication. These medicines might help relief your symptoms.
How long will I be sick?
Common cough and colds usually last 3 to 7 days in adults and 10 days in children. Some people have symptoms for up to 2 weeks.
How can I keep from getting another cold?
Hand hygiene is the first step to reduce transmission of virus. You can also consider yearly Flu vaccinations especially if you are:
- 65 years or older
- Have an underlying condition
- On long term steroids
Feel free to drop by our clinic for more information.